Waterways in Mangalore
Gurupura River and the Netravati RiverMangalore is nestled between the Gurupura and Netravati River. Both these rivers play an important role in the life of Mangalore residents. The Netravati River begins it journey from the area known as Chikkamagaluru, Karnataka. This river meets the River Kumaradhara at Uppinangadi and then meets an end in the Arabian Sea. Buntwal is its early name as it was situated near the town of Buntwal. The river offers river transportation system like passenger boats carrying passengers to other areas of Mangalore and its adjoining areas.
Gurupura River is the other important waterway in Mangalore city. In this river many tourists enjoy wind surfing and it is an important water sports for them, especially in the winter months. This river is also named after Gurupura, the town from where it originates.
New Mangalore PortThe Major Port Trust Act 1963 made it possible to construct the New Mangalore Port. It was open for operation in 1974. The New Mangalore Port is responsible for the booming economy of Mangalore. In the year 2010 to 2011, the port has been estimated to handle over thirty one million tons of cargo traffic. New Mangalore Port imports commodities like Iron ore products, petroleum products, granite stones. Its main imports are LPG, petroleum products, fertilizers, chemicals and timber logs.
Two mega cruises arrive at the New Mangalore Port
Various facilities offered in the PortThe New Mangalore Port provides a low speed railway track from the main port area and it connects to main railway tracks which connect to important neighbor states like Tamilnadu, Kerala and Maharashtra. Cargo from the port is transferred to important cities of India thru the broad gauge line.
Three National Highways are connected to the Port. National Highway -17 passes thru the port area and it connects distant areas like Mumbai and Kochi to Mangalore. The NH-48 connects Bangalore to Mangalore. NH-13 the third highway connects Mangalore to Sholapur.
Advantages of Using the New Mangalore Port
- The port ensures that efficient port transportation is maintained and this helps the vessel to anchor in the port and carry n with their duties.
- Trucks are there in the port and they pick up the cargo and travel to different destinations around the country.
- When transporting LPG and chemicals, special guidelines are maintained.
- Strict vigilant security system is maintained in all corners of the port.
- For regular users of the Mangalore port, special tariff rates are planned for the customer’s convenience.
- Container yards are kept in a secured area which is surrounded by specially crafted barbed fences. This would protect from theft and also if there is unnecessary spillage in the area.
- Large cargo projects can be handled.
- Abundant area is available around the port are to store raw materials.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0