Special Cuisine of Mangalore
Rice is cooked in various ways in the cuisine found in Mangalore like thin pancakes, rotis, and idlis and of course the famous neer dosa. Fresh fruits also form a part of their diets and popular fruits are breadfruits, bamboo shoot, raw banana and Taute, which is a type of sweet cucumber. The people of Mangalore have unique food habits and one of them is using jaggery instead of sugar. The cuisine among the Catholic community in Mangalore has elements of Portuguese, Goan and Mangalorean cuisines. One of the most special foods in Mangalore is the Kane Fish Fry and the Kane Fish Curry. Both these fish varieties are made with the same kind of fish. Find the traditional recipes of these two finger licking dishes that you can try at your home.
Kane Fish Curry and Kane Fish Fry
This is a very special food for the residents of Mangalore. This fish fry or curry is made using Lady Fish which is popularly eaten in Mangalore. This fish curry tastes best with steamed rice and it can taste best with less or lots of spices.
Steamed White rice and Kane Fish Curry make a great pair in Mangalorean cuisine
Recipe for Kane Fish Curry
Masala for the Spicy Paste
- Roasted red chilies 10 to 12
- Chopped onion 1
- A small ball of tamarind
- Roasted coriander seeds 2 tablespoons
- Roasted cumin seeds 1 tablespoon of
- Grated coconut ½
- Fenugreek seeds roasted 6
- Garlic flakes roasted 6 to 8
- Roasted peppercorns 1 tbs
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Finely chopped onions 2
- 12 lady fish – medium size
- Coconut oil 2 tbs
- Salt as per taste
- Mix all the ingredients of the masala and make it into a fine paste.
- Add some small amount of water and mix it into a medium paste.
- Now in a flat vessel heat the coconut oil.
- Once the oil becomes hot add the onions and fry it till it is brown.
- Now add the spicy masala paste and salt to the mixture.
- When the masala starts to boil, you can add the lady fish pieces carefully.
- Cook the fish over a low heat until the fish is cooked.
- Take the fish out after it is down and then pour the remaining curry over it.
- Serve it with brown fried onions on the top.
- ½ lemon juice
- Fried Iron
- Red Chili paste mixed with tamarind juice or vinegar
- Kane Fish
- Semolina to coat the fish
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt as per your taste
Kane Fish Curry is a semolina coated fry that locks in the flavors of the spices to compliment the fish
- Clean the fish and add the mixture of chili paste, salt, lemon juice and leave it to marinate for an hour.
- Now roll the fish over the semolina and coat the body of the fish fully.
- Now heat the oil and fry it till it is golden brown.
- Garnish it with brown onions and serve it.